9.25.2012

Two Fridas

When I was a little girl, my parents took my brother and me to Olvera Street frequently. I loved seeing all the bright colors of paintings, ceramics and textiles. When I found these pieces, I remembered my uncomplicated childhood and I’m so grateful I grew up in an area with such cultural diversity. The subjects in my photograph were plentiful in the sixties, but finding them in good condition now, is a challenge. I cannot think of a more fitting title because Frida Kahlo de Rivera, remains an inspirational artistic, cultural and historical icon.

I have a neighbor who is a talented painter and I have one of her early pieces. This painting was a double self-portrait entitled, 'Two Revas,' so 'Two Fridas,' seemed apropos and respectful when I photographed these Hispanic beauties.  






No comments: