6.03.2012

Clever Country Colloquialisms

It was a quiet weekend and I got to thinking about some of my pals in Kentucky. These particular women were older than I, and recently, I received word that one of them had passed. We had such good times ~ these women and I. They took me under their collective wing and taught me everything I know about early Americana. Now, this is not to be confused with everything THEY knew. We found the best spots to pick little, and not so little, gems. We figured out how to pack a car with antiques like you wouldn’t believe! Curious shop owners would look at our haul with a good deal of skepticism ~ not quite believing that we could get our purchases into one SUV, but we did!

Therefore, in the spirit of these lovely women, I began collecting some of their favorite country colloquialisms. I hope you enjoy them and if I made you smile, I did my job. The last came my way via my always entertaining cousin.

• As nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockin’ chairs.
• You could start an argument in an empty house.
• And we're off like a herd of turtles.
• He’s about as handy as a back pocket on a shirt.
• Well, that just dills my pickle.
• You look about as happy as a tick on a fat dog.
• He thinks the sun comes up just to hear him crow.
• He was as mad as a mule chewing on bumblebees!
• Why are you smilin’ like a goat in a briar patch?
• I'll be dipped.
• Oh figs! Let's make a date.
• The early worm catches the bird.
• Madder than a wet hen!
• I ran slap out of milk, or whatever you might need.
• He/She has more money than sense.
• He/She's as tight as bark on a tree.
• He/She could rub a buffalo off a nickel.
• When you get into some kind of confusing or hectic situation, you say,
       "It was like goin’ to a goat ropin’"

No comments: